Buffalo Niagara Convention Center Celebrates Grand Reopening
Monday, October 4, 2010Back to News ▸
Today, the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center welcomed approximately 300 guests to celebrate the completion of the center’s $7 million renovation.
Guests enjoyed breakfast, took tours of the center, listened to a performance by the Colored Musicians Club House Band and heard remarks from the following speakers:
- Chris Collins, County Executive, County of Erie
- Barbara Miller-Williams, Chair, Erie County Legislature
- Gary Praetzel, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Dottie Gallagher-Cohen, President & CEO, Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Paul Murphy, Facility Director, Buffalo Niagara Convention Center
The 110,000 square foot center was closed from June 14 to Sept. 10, as crews worked to upgrade the building, including the following renovations:
- A new main entrance and state-of-the-art electronic marquee
- A top-to-bottom facelift for the main exhibit hall:
- The floor was completely resurfaced
- The ceiling was painted black
- New flexible lighting
- Added sound baffles and acoustical treatments
- Renovated concession areas with new equipment
- New wall coverings
- Updated signage
- Renovated show offices
- New carpet
- Redesigned kitchen with new equipment and new chef’s table/tasting room
Funding for the renovation came from the County of Erie. The project team consisted of Michelle Mazzone and Jeff Zack from the County of Erie and Richard Nardini and Thomas Zilka of BHNT Architects.
The lead renovation partners were BRD Construction, Buffalo Hotel Supply Co., CIR Electrical, Ferguson Electric Construction, IBC Engineers, John W. Danforth Company, L&D Johnson Plumbing & Heating, LPCiminelli, The Peyton Barlow Co. and Tallinger Associates.
“My administration has made attracting tourists a top priority,” said Erie County Executive Chris Collins. “These renovations will help attract first rate conventions and events to Buffalo and Erie County. We are thrilled with the results of this investment of county dollars. The improvements to the Convention Center were long overdue and bring us up to date with what they’re offering at other convention centers around the nation.”
"This beautiful new space provides a wonderful gateway to bring visitors into the heart of Buffalo and leave them wanting to explore more of what Erie County has to offer,” said Erie County Legislature Chair Barbara Miller-Williams.
“The renovations to the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center are an important piece in the Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau’s broader effort to rebrand Buffalo as an attractive tourism and convention destination,” said Gary Praetzel, chairman of the Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau Board of Directors. “We will leverage this improved facility, recent upgrades to our region’s hotel stock and our community’s world-class attractions to bring visitors – and their dollars – to Buffalo and Erie County.”
The event sponsors for today’s celebration were BAV Services, Hale Northeastern and Bloom Floral Shoppe.